Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Brussels :"Pulvérisés sur l’autel de la violence éternelle "

In regard to today's terrorist attacks in Brussels, I don't have any pronouncements as important as the prescriptions for more torture from Donald Trump or Muslim-neighborhood harassment from Ted Cruz, but I can't get this song from 2002 out of my mind, so I'll share this.

"Manhattan-Kaboul" was specifically about one anonymous victim of the 9/11 attacks in Manhattan and another young victim of the violent US response against Afghanistan, but today's events are an extension of the continuous cycle of violence that Renaud and Axelle Red sing about here. The fact that Renaud is a Parisian and Axelle Red is Belgian only adds to the fact that this seems the essential song for the day (at least for me, but I've been an Axelle Red fan for for a long time).

No comments: